Saturday, July 4, 2009

One Mile Time Trial

This is the second time trial that I've done during the course of this training. It's actually probably not very valid because I did it on the treadmill. It was the 4th of July and Aaron had to go into work for a couple of hours in the morning. I knew that I wasn't going to want to run later on in the day, so I opted to do my time trial (plus 4 more miles) on my treadmill. I used my foot pod (and not the treadmill readings) for the distance. When I ran a mile on the track, my heart rate was high. It seems like it was at or above my AT (167) the whole time. I was able to shave 7 seconds off of my time and did a mile in 9:23. But my heart rate barely got out of zone 3. I guess you just aren't working as hard on the treadmill. I really need to just do it on a track again to really compare the numbers. Then I ran a few more miles. I tried a 4/1 run/walk ratio and it felt pretty good. I ran slightly slower, but since it was for a minute longer, I think it improved my overall time. Now it feels like I can run 5 miles and it's not really that hard - at least I can feel like I'm improving a little.

Garmin Connect Data

A friend told me about another trail in town that I want to try out this Saturday for my 11 mile run. Also, I got a variety of energy gels, bars, and drinks to try out. I really needed something on my last run and I'm hoping that this will really help. I will have to use some trial and error to see what works best for me.

Also, check out the cool new widget I found that works with your Garmin Connect data. You can choose what info to display and they have three different styles to choose from. It's at http://garminconnect.codedrobot.com.

1 comment:

  1. I just did a timed mile at the track on Wednesday. I ran to the track (about a mile) and then stopped my watch to stretch. I started it again and thought I hit "lap" right as I started, but had really hit "stop"... I came around the first lap to check my time and my watch was stopped. Doh! I ran the other three laps and just extrapolated the total time.. even though I'm pretty sure my first lap was my fastest. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete