Saturday, July 25, 2009

First 5K

I have run several times since the last post but nothing post worthy or exciting. I did run a 5K on July 25th. It was my very first race ever. Even though I routinely run 3 miles or more every time I run, I wanted to have an actual race experience before the half marathon. It was just a small community race that I ran with several of my family members. I was aiming to finish under 30 minutes and my time was 29:54. I think I started out a little too fast (it's really hard not to do that!) Also, I started to get faster when I had about .75 miles left - and I ran out of steam too early. My first mile was 9:39 - which is surprising because that was about my time for just one mile. I think that I should be able to do just one mile a lot faster. Also, when I finished, my watch didn't stop and the time on my Garmin page is over 34 minutes - which is incorrect. Overall it was fun and I think I learned a few things. I think it's going to be difficult to take walking breaks in the half marathon because everyone is going to be passing me. Also, I just need to be proud of what I am doing and not let it bother me that I am going to be one of the slowest people in the race. I really don't want to come in last in my age group. I was looking at the results from last year's half marathon and it's a very good possibility that I could come in very near the end. I'll just have to not let it get to me. I am officially signed up now! There's no turning back :)


Garmin Connect

No comments:

Post a Comment